- Penda promotes ongoing authentic engagement with content.
- Penda supports teacher practice through time management.
- Penda reports assists each teacher to quickly identify students ready for enrichment; browse and assign higher level activities for groups of students all within the same platform.
- Penda assists the teacher in applying best practice while solving a long-standing issue – truly differentiating instruction for varying student ability levels.
- Penda continues to engage advanced students in learning required content as well as diving deeper to build their conceptual understanding.
- Penda allows students to work at their own pace and “work ahead” of classmates that may need more time.
How To Do It
- Teacher identifies students within a class period who are consistently performing at or above grade-level expectations and/or who consistently master standards.
- Teacher creates group(s) within class period to vary ability levels and assign students.
- Teacher browses Penda activities by standard and by grade and topic – focus on Real-World and Real-World + activities, when available and assigns to group(s).
- Teacher continues to look for opportunities to extend learning of advanced students using Penda.
- Teacher pairs lower level student with higher level student using the Penda activity. The higher level student will coach/teach the lower level student, focusing on content and reasoning.
Ms. Rossi acknowledges that it’s just as important to keep her advanced students authentically engaged and challenged as it is to remediate and support those students who may be struggling. To differentiate within a class period, Ms. Rossi creates groups within each of her class periods and places students into the groups accordingly. Ms. Rossi uses multiple measures of data to determine student placement, including Penda Class Mastery Reports and individual student progress reports. For her students needing additional enrichment, Ms. Rossi browses Penda activities. She searches the Penda activities by academic standard, then by grade and topic. Knowing how the activities are built, she focuses on finding and assigning Real- World and Real-World + activities to provide higher level cognitive complexity and Webb’s DOK questioning, when possible. Ms. Rossi assigns these activities for students to complete at their own pace in addition to the weekly activities assigned by PAS.